Friday, August 24, 2018

Poetry Friday - Bird Brain

Usually when I have the mundane chore of washing dishes in the afternoon and my son is distracted by kids songs on YouTube, I try to find a podcast to get me thinking. Recently on diyMFA the host interviewed author and poet David L. Harrison about writing science poetry for kids. Pretty timely considering last week's Poetry Friday host challenged those participating to write a poem about birds. I tried to do a small amount of reading on some aspect of birds and starting drafting a poem about different kinds of beaks. I couldn't get my act together for last week so I'm posting it now.

Beaks are Neat 

Though some have points
and some have hooks,
the beaks of birds
aren't just for looks.

A woodpecker chips
away at bark
to find insects --
hey, that's smart!

Owls have beaks
for eating meat,
and hummingbirds drink
their nectar sweet.

Some use their beaks
to find a mate,
feed their young,
make their nests look great.

There's so many things
a beak can do
There's probably more,
can you name one, too?

- e. mauger (c.) 2018

One of these days I'd be interested in giving my own non-fiction poetry project a go. Is anyone else working on or contemplating their next poetry project?

This week's PF is hosted by Margaret at Reflections on the Teche. Go check out some poetry for your final weekend in August.

20 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you persevered and shared your poem this week. You've packed in some great information in an engaging format. Love the rhyme and your ending question!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, you should most definitely give your nonfiction project a go! This is a lot of fun, thinking about beaks and their purpose... I'd add cleaning and preening to the list?? This could be a picture book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've created a popular suggestion, Irene! I may have to give it some thought. Thanks for the adding to the beak usage list as well.

      Delete
  3. I agree with Irene, a picture book for sure. I don't know any that have focused on beaks, & they are important. I'd add carrying things. Every spring I see robins carting twigs, etc. for nest-building! Love each part you've written & the rhyming, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Delightful poem–and I agree with Irene and Linda, this could definitely be a part of a picture book, thanks Erin!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Erin, it seems that others agree that you should go ahead with your NF poetry project. Your poem is delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice job, Erin!
    One more use for a beak -- to use aggressively, to protect your territory! (Our lovebird is snappish when she's broody!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice one. I've been swooped once or twice from a magpie when I crossed a bit too close to their nesting area.

      Delete
  7. What a great start. Best of luck, and you definitely look at Sarah Tuttle's Hidden City. Science, nature and poetry, such an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool, thanks for the recommendation. I'll have to check it out :)

      Delete
  8. So many beak experts! Sounds like you've got a great support team here. Guess you need to go for it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beaks of different birds are fascinating to study. You should write more poems and just see where they take you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like a good idea. Exploration is the interesting bit.

      Delete
  10. Nicely done! My students love science-related poetry.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have a whole shelf of nonfiction poetry! I'd love to add your book someday!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely poem--I'm glad you shared. And I'm excited to learn about a new podcast. I've just started a new job and have a 30-40 minute commute. My daughter set me up with her old iPod (my newer phone won't connect properly with the older car) so I can listen to podcasts on my way to and from. I'm new to podcasts and looking for ones that will entertain and inform me as I drive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's so many podcasts out there. I usually go to NPR to find more general interest stories and I also like listening to 88Cups of Tea with Yin Chang for different author interviews.

      Delete
  13. I can't wait to read more of your nonfiction poems! I am so glad you are incorporating science into writing. Kids love it, and it's so important. Best of luck with your project!

    ReplyDelete

Poetry Friday: The other new year

You know it's been awhile when you almost forget the name of your blog! I don't know where the time has gone. This month was, ...