Saturday, August 11, 2018

Poetry Friday - On Shakespeare

Welcome back for another week. I was finally getting over the cold I caught while on holiday, when last night I noticed another one coming on. Maybe my strange hours and random eating habits have caught up to me.

Anywho - I was scrolling through Facebook and saw a post listing phrases popularised or coined by Shakespeare and thought about using a few of them to compose a poem. It reminded me of last week's offering by Mary Lee who cooked us up a blitz poem. This isn't quite that but it's kind of a fun exercise to see how you can arrange something instead of having to come up with something completely new.

Untitled

Knock knock!
Who’s there?
It was a brave new world calling,
And in one fell 
swoop
its eaten me out of house and home.

Well,
good riddance!

The old world was cold comfort at best,
like the devil incarnate.
But, let's give the devil his due.
Inside he does have a heart of gold
When he kills, 
he only kills with kindness.


This week Molly Hogan is hosting PF. Go on over and say hi! 


14 comments:

  1. I like the way you put those phrases together in your own way. Very creative and witty! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun poem Erin, and humorous voice coming through–we could use more devils "incarnate" as the one described in your poem, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely! We could all probably do with a bit more "killing with kindness".

      Delete
  3. Fun! Maybe it's not a proper Blitz Poem, but let's just say you created a NEW poetry form, the Shakespearean Idiom Poem!! It works!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I might have to try a proper blitz poem for my next exercise.

      Delete
  4. This is such fun, Erin! You combined those phrases brilliantly. I enjoyed reading along and recognizing some phrases and wondering about the origin of others.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very clever! One of the things my daughter brought back from her stay in England is a poster of those words and phrases from Shakespeare. It's amazing how many can be traced back to hiim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, nice souvenir. It's interesting how some things catch on so much that they get referred back to / reinvented constantly.

      Delete
  6. Erin, I like how you crafted this poem. I see Mary Lee created a title for the type of poem you designed. You made this format seem so easy with the flow of your poem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carol. Apparently a real blitz poem has quite a few more lines (maybe 50 or so). I may give it a try next time. Either way, it's fun to play around with.

      Delete

Poetry Friday: The other new year

You know it's been awhile when you almost forget the name of your blog! I don't know where the time has gone. This month was, ...