Friday, January 25, 2019

Poetry Friday - More update than poetry



I'm trying not to let the Poetry Friday habit slip, but it has been more than a month since I've last updated, which has coincided with my recent move. Things have been unpacked (mostly), the holidays have come and gone, and the Internet at our place is yet to be connected because we need to do some digging to connect a phone line (or something - it's just going on forever)

Since we changed house, I've been spending a bit of time helping friends with their service with youth in the community. The past couple of weeks my son and I have been helping at a youth camp (though my 2 year old was mostly in the business of going outside and looking for pirates) where they're learning about working with children and younger youth between the ages of 11 - 15 with different community programs. It's been interesting learning about how to be an effective resource and also how not to let my toddler disturb sessions too much, especially when everyone wants to play with him or maybe the opposite--when he wants to play with everyone else! I'm grateful tho those who have taken him on walks, or played ball, tried to cheer him up when he was upset and help him behave when he would listen to anyone but me :)

Yesterday was the last day of camp and also the hottest temperature. The high was around 115 F (46 C)! It was pretty miserable but we all worked together to clean up our dorms, the rooms we used around the campsite and all the other things that needed to get done before our bittersweet ending of having to go back to whatever lives we left momentarily.

Also, apologies, I'm a few weeks late in acknowledging my poem and gift in the Winter Poetry Swap (which did get to my new address - cheers Tabatha!). I received my package from Donna, who was also in the middle of a move. It's always exciting to receive something more than routine mail. Thank you for the poem of new beginnings as well as the notebook and a couple of other handmade items ⚘


This week's Poetry Friday is graciously hosted by Tara at the Going to Walden. I hope to get back to routine from next week. Have a good weekend everyone!

14 comments:

  1. 115 degrees-YIKES! We're in the midwest and awoke to windchills of -30 this morning. I know how life can get busy. I just came back from a months-long break from Poetry Friday. I had a huge writing project and then other life happened, too. It all eventually makes for good poetry :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely a contrast isn't it? I'm from the Midwest as well - I'm not sure which one is worse, extreme heat or extreme cold. & true - sometimes we need time to live life before we get enough content for our poetry :)

      Delete
  2. Glad to have you back!
    115 degrees! That can be pretty hard on everybody -- congrats to all for doing what needed to be done anyway.
    Donna always does a great job with her swaps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so thankful that though I live in the sunshine state, and am much closer to the equator, we have not be suffering those extreme temperatures. It's been hot - but bearable! Your camp activities sound fascinating and worthwhile. Hoping you all got a heap out of it. And don't ever be afraid to pop back in to PoetryFriday after a long absence, because we'll just be glad to have you back. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The best part about Poetry Friday is that you can pick up where you left off at any time. I am so glad to see that you are still in the game...even if its only thinking about your next poetry move. The weather Down Under has made the news cycle all the way over here in the US where we are shivering. Stay cool....enjoy those kiddos and I look forward to when you get some writing out to the rest of us. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) very true, sharing poetry doesn't have a time frame so plenty of opportunity to get back into the game.

      Delete
  5. The tragedy of the Australian heat wave and drought is hard to fathom when we've been inundated with rain and our temperatures are in the deep freeze. Thanks for the update!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, after being here for about 7 years now I've started to come to grips with the swap in seasons but it still is interesting to think of the differences from one place to another. I imagine there's a poem in there somewhere...

      Delete
  6. So glad you got the package...a tad late, but safely received! I've had a few "penpals" from Australia when I was a teen, and mail took forever to pass back and forth. And my first graders had buddies in Australia back a few years ago. So I always have felt a closeness to Australia. I was always taken aback by the idea that it could get so hot there and that the sun was an issue for children at recess - quite the opposite here.
    Glad you are all moved - and so am I! Maybe I can get back on track with blogging, too!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, sometimes the intensity of the sun can make the temperatures feel hotter than it should! Thanks again, Donna. Perhaps both of us can start to get on track with the things we've had on hold.

      Delete
  7. Our Poetry Friday friends will always be here, Erin. Sometimes life takes us on a journey that leaves us with little time to spare. We've all been on that journey. As the Aussies taught us, "No worries." I'll echo the shock and horror of 115 F temps. Oh my! Happy extended Poetry Friday. -- Christie @ https://wonderingandwondering.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Welcome back, Erin! I've been seeing some of those crazy weather maps from Australia. I hope you get a reprieve soon. Your youth camp work sounds valuable and rewarding.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yikes! 115 is hot--and the direct opposite of our weather this week where we expect to drop below zero. Glad you were able to drop in this week in the midst of getting settled in a new place. We are starting the process of buying/selling/moving houses, so I can relate.

    ReplyDelete

Poetry Friday: The other new year

You know it's been awhile when you almost forget the name of your blog! I don't know where the time has gone. This month was, ...