Saturday, July 14, 2018

Poetry Friday: Flighty Thoughts


Is it the weekend again? It's not Friday here in Australia anymore, but in thinking about poetry to share I suddenly thought of a scene in one of my favourite movies L.A. Story starring Steve Martin. In one attempt to try and win over his would-be love interest played by Victoria Tennant, he starts to recite the following poem:

O pointy birds
O pointy pointy, 
Anoint my head
Anointy nointy. 

It's Steve Martin, so of course it's silly. I'm going a bit silly myself thinking about packing for a trip to Perth on Sunday. It's just visiting some family and friends so nothing too exotic. But it is the first flight for and with my two-year-old son. I've been telling him all week that we'll be going on a plane -- we'll see if that excitement translates into a fairly uneventful flight. It's not a twenty-something hour journey overseas so we'll survive anyhow. In anticipation, I started to jot down some first draft poetry-like goodness around flying. I'll probably get more inspiration in transit, but for now this is what I've come up with.

In Flight

I wonder how we stay afloat.
Is a plane like a boat?
Or maybe it was a catapult
that sent us up so high. 

Are we moving?
Are we not?
I can only feel little bumps 
and hops.
The captain says soon we'll stop
I wonder how that'll be. 

I guess for now we're in 
the sky,
like a buzzard flying 
high.

****

This week's Poetry Friday host is Sylvia over at Poetry for Children! See everyone next week.




13 comments:

  1. What fun to think about how your son will respond to his first plane trip. It will be magical, for sure! I grinned at your reference to "more inspiration in transit," knowing how demanding flying with a toddler can be. I hope it's uneventful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ramona :) It was fairly uneventful. He fell asleep for part of the flight and was happy to snack and draw for the rest haha.

      Delete
  2. Oooh. Another 'Aussie' in the #PoetryFriday crew - all be it one with an American twang, yes? I think you must have joined up right about when I went (unintentionally) quiet for my month in Adelaide. Looking forward to reading more. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting, Kat :) Yea, I'm American. Adelaide's been my homebase for about 6 years now.

      Delete
  3. I'm up early because I'm flying this morning. Headed from Denver to New Hampshire for a workshop at UNH. I will think about your catapult when we take off! Here's to safe and uneventful travels for both of us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carol. I hope your flight was uneventful. Mine turned out to be!

      Delete
  4. Lovely to see another Aussie in the PF roundup. I love your draft, and hope the flight goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Catapulting into the sky--perhaps that explains my fear of flying! lol Glad to hear your son enjoyed the flight and that it was uneventful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for joining in the Poetry Friday fun all the way from Australia! Safe travels to you and your sweet son and his first airplane flight! Love your "bon voyage" poem!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the child-like wondering in your poem. Safe travels!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Enjoy the flight with your son! I hope to read more poetry about flying.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fun poem–I like your light-hearted sing-song voice–look forward to seeing more of this one, thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Poetry Friday: The other new year

You know it's been awhile when you almost forget the name of your blog! I don't know where the time has gone. This month was, ...