Friday, May 18, 2018

Poetry Friday - Library livin'


I've been listening to NPR's Story Corps podcast lately. The episodes are quite short so it's easy to get through a few of them. You can learn a lot from listening to simple stories of the lives of others. Of course everyone has a story, but how often are we open to asking about them? Last week I came across a story of an older gentleman who spent some of his childhood inside of a library when his father was a custodian at the New York City Library in the 50's, and later on raised his daughter there until she was 5. You can read/hear more about it here.

And that, my friends, was my inspiration for this week's Poetry Friday.

Library Livin'

From the street
you never know
the secret life I live
behind these doors.

Shovelling coal
to keep things warm,
dusting shelves
till they shine gold. 

But sometimes when my friends come by,
I bury my face and try to hide.
And even though at first it seems
that shame adorns these books and things,
I think upon my privilege
cause words provide the knowledge
that no money can buy. 

So come on by
the library!
It is my home
and no matter what,
my home it will always be.
(c) e. mauger

This week's Poetry Friday host will be over at Sloth Reads. Go on and see what else is happening! 

6 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your poem! The story sounds fascinating. The link to the story isn't working though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doh! I've corrected the link, hopefully it should work now. Thanks for pointing that out and for being the first comment on my blog :)

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a wonderful podcast! Do you ever listen to The Moth? I enjoy that a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never listened to The Moth. Looking at the website it seems to be in a similar vein to Story Corps. I'll have to check it out!

      Delete
  3. Wow! I love the idea of living in a library--and how your poem took the story and created something new.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A lovely celebration of libraries. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Poetry Friday: The other new year

You know it's been awhile when you almost forget the name of your blog! I don't know where the time has gone. This month was, ...