Saturday, May 26, 2018

Poetry Friday - Wish upon a star

In the news this week - aside from the numerous posts flying around about being GDPR compliant - was Wednesday night's attempt at passing the Guinness World Record for the most number of people looking at the night sky through telescopes at once. ABC's Stargazing Live enlisted the help of thousands of Australians across the country to take part. In 2015, 7,960 people set the record - this year the sort of official tally was over 40,000! Throw in a couple of new supernova sightings and you get one astronomical party :) (pun intended)

For this week’s contribution I decided to write a mask poem from the point of view of the night sky. There’s so many forms and being kind of a newbie at poetry (unless you count all those angsty teen poems scribbled in notebooks from high school) I find it difficult figuring out where to start. Anyway, a quick attempt on my part.

Is it me or did the sky start to sound creepy in the end?

The Night Sky

Across the land
thousands gazed
through telescopes
a lunar haze

But what you see
is just a part,
No one knows
the end or start.

Billions have died
in my sky before
Planets, stars
and so much more.

Soon you’ll be
with me too,
You're part of me
and I,
you.

(c) e. mauger

Maybe one of these days I’ll have the Poetry Friday schedule on this blog, but in the meantime I have to get the scoop elsewhere. This week is hosted by Margaret on Reflections on the Teche.

Have a good weekend!






8 comments:

  1. No, your sky does not sound creepy to me. I love the fact that I am made of the stuff of stars and will return to a more elemental form when I die!

    You can always find the host of the week's Poetry Friday roundup at http://kidlitosphere.org/poetry-friday/. Feel free to copy/paste the schedule off the sidebar at http://readingyear.blogspot.com/ (or email me if you want the html code -- marylee dot hahn AT gmail). We'll be claiming spots on the July-December schedule starting next week. If you'd like to host, be sure to jump right in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Mary Lee - thanks for stopping by and for the heads up on the new Poetry Friday schedule. It's cool that even when you're kind of new to poetry or you're just starting out a blog there's things like that you can jump right into :)

      Delete
  2. How clever to think of this event from the sky's view and write a mask poem! I like the second stanza and the idea that even though we're all gazing upward, we see only a small part of the whole. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Molly! Yes - it's crazy to think how much is out there but we don't know much about.

      Delete
  3. I like the perspective from the night sky being stared at but still unknown. No, I don't think it's creepy at the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading. I think now that it's been a few days the end of the poem is starting to sound normal to me too.

      Delete
  4. I love how your poem ends,
    "You're part of me
    and I,
    you."

    Beautiful thought, thanks Erin!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an incredible event! Your poem reminds me of how we are all connected, even as far as the stars. Thanks for linking up.

    ReplyDelete

Poetry Friday: The other new year

You know it's been awhile when you almost forget the name of your blog! I don't know where the time has gone. This month was, ...