Saturday, June 9, 2018

Poetry Friday - Yesterday's Poem

Hello Friday, my old friend!

Er, well, in my neck of the proverbial woods it's more like goodbye. It's one minute till midnight and thus the weekend rolls on. But when you're like me and you spend your days chasing after a toddler (or being climbed on!) the line between weekday and weekend becomes less distinct.

Either way, this week's Poetry Friday roundup is at Kiesha's Whispers from the Ridge so check it out and see what all the other poets are up to!

At the moment I'm pretty bummed after hearing about Anthony Bourdain's death. Celeb chef. Explorer of simple questions like how food can colour an experience or highlight cultures--both local and abroad. There's no illusion that any one's life is always bed of roses, regardless of how it looks on the outside. Or whether or not we wished we had what they had. It's always jarring, though, when someone decides to take their life because of it. (wherever you are there's options)

I've been a bit behind in writing anything but I didn't want another Friday to slip away. It'd become another excuse not to keep up the habit. I flipped through my notebook and found an acrostic poem I started drafting some weeks ago. Somehow it seems fitting.

Take care of yourselves, friends.


Yesterday

Yesterday we always chase
Even when the birds do sing, of
Sun and all tomorrow's things.
Try and try with all your might to
Erase the shadows
Reaching out.
Decide from now that there's no before
Accept the now.
Yes, today, no more.

(c.) e. mauger

12 comments:

  1. "Accept the now.
    Yes, today, no more."

    While I am saddened that Kate Spade and Anthony Bourdain ended their lives, I hope that the rise in awareness of mental health resources will prevent others from following them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's hope for someone, Mary Lee. Although sometimes it feels to be more of a reminder to us that not everything on the outside is as shiney as it looks - and perhaps gets us to think about how we interact with, care for or know other people.

      Delete
  2. Reaching out -- yes!
    Erin, your link on the link-up leads to an error page...want to add your link again?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thanks for letting me know Tabatha. I can't delete the other one can I?

      Delete
    2. I'm not sure how to delete it!

      Delete
    3. But you can put "Corrected Link" on the new one

      Delete
    4. Thanks. I've corrected it now :)

      Delete
  3. Thank you for sharing this, Erin. I think that we must bring awareness of mental health issues to the forefront, especially in our schools for the sake of our children.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely, Kiesha. There's a lot of social pressures out there, and it can be difficult to navigate your way through them even in the best of times.

      Delete
  4. This has been a hard, sad week. Your poem is definitely fitting. Like Mary Lee, I love the lines, "Accept the now.
    Yes, today, no more."
    Such good advice for living. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked it. Thank you for stopping by. Take care of yourself!

      Delete
  5. Erase the shadows
    Reaching out
    are fitting lines to go along with the news of the week. On the positive side, I heard that more people are now recognizing the Hot Line as a viable route to take when depression is oppressive.

    ReplyDelete

Poetry Friday: The other new year

You know it's been awhile when you almost forget the name of your blog! I don't know where the time has gone. This month was, ...