Friday, June 22, 2018

Poetry Friday - Not Now

Whew! It's Friday again. This week's Poetry Friday is hosted by Michelle Kogan so check out the poetry on offer. 

I have quite an active two-year-old. Perhaps it's just part and parcel of the age. Sometimes the idea of going to the same neighbourhood park again and again gets a bit boring, but for the active toddler, or other young child, that plain open field with a few trees and some playground equipment is still full of possibilities.

This week's poem came to mind after my son tried his best to avoid leaving the park to go home. There were still more things to see, and he was determined to get one last look around. I guess it's only natural. We all try to hold onto good times, don't we?


No, not now 

No, I do not want to go,
I'm never going back.
I'm too busy getting dizzy,
It's fun and that's a fact.

No, I do not want to go.
Of course, why should I?
Don't you see I'm merrily
going down the slide?

No, it's much too early.
I can see it with my eyes.
Not as long as there is sun,
hanging in the sky.

Yes, mum, you can go ahead.
Leave me, I'll be fine.
I'll be running in the grass--
How long?
For quite some time.

- (c) e. mauger 

Busy exploring the dirt

6 comments:

  1. "I'm too busy getting dizzy" is such a fun line :-) Sounds like you are doing a great job of looking at the world from your toddler's eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember those days! I, too, love the line about too busy getting dizzy. It sounds just like my girl.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I love this poem. And now I'm seeing those play days at the park through my grandson's eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Not as long as there is sun,/hanging in the sky." You've shown my own dilemma getting my young granddaughters home from a park. I love the ending!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, guys! Sometimes it's fun looking from a child's perspective. Kind of makes you appreciate the 'magic in the mundane' as it were. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for your fun poem, and I hope the leaving wasn't too bitter-sweet!

    ReplyDelete

Poetry Friday: The other new year

You know it's been awhile when you almost forget the name of your blog! I don't know where the time has gone. This month was, ...